Ieso Digital Health announces new research collaboration with Roche Diabetes Care
Collaboration will study integrating digital therapeutics to treat both the physical and mental health of patients with diabetes.
DALLAS, Texas – September 6, 2018 - Ieso Digital Health, the UK’s flagship provider of digitally-enabled mental health care has today announced details of an innovative research program in partnership with Roche Diabetes Care, to test Ieso’s mental health care interventions in patients with type II diabetes in the UK and Ireland.
The aim of this program is to demonstrate that those diabetes patients with mental health issues can be successfully identified and their depression or anxiety treated, through an integrated, holistic approach – ultimately leading to better and more effective management of their whole condition.
Ieso has successfully treated over 30,000 patients suffering from common mental health disorders and brings its clinical and technical expertise for treating mental illness, complimenting Roche’s extensive experience in the care and treatment of diabetes. Every year the National Health System (NHS) spends the equivalent an estimated $18 billion dollars on treating diabetes and its complications.1 Furthermore, diabetes patients are three times more likely to be diagnosed with depression than people without it.2 Depression can have a serious impact on a patient’s well-being and ability and motivation to self-manage their diabetes, frequently leading to poor outcomes.
Ieso’s personalized, digitally-enabled and clinically-validated3 care will help patients to more effectively manage their depression, anxiety or psychological distress. Even in diabetes patients where there is no diagnosable mental health condition, individuals often struggle with the medication schedule, dietary requirements and general lifestyle changes which are essential for managing the disease effectively and will also benefit from Ieso’s psychological support.
The Ieso platform will be optimized for diabetes patients and Ieso’s therapists will help change patients’ attitudes and behaviors and improve their quality of life. In the pilot phase of the exercise, Ieso and Roche will study how overcoming psychological or mental health issues can improve physical outcomes and reduce health care costs.
Dr. Andy Blackwell, Group Chief Science & Strategy Officer of Ieso Digital Health, said:
We’re very excited to announce this research collaboration with Roche Diabetes Care, which we believe will deliver an integrated behavioral change solution that can really help improve the lives of people with diabetes.
Brett Lewis, General Manager of Roche Diabetes Care UK & Ireland, said:
I'm delighted to be embarking on this important research program with Ieso, whose pioneering cognitive and behavioral interventions are already demonstrating very positive results in treating depression and anxiety. We look forward to getting started and in bringing forward much-needed help for people with diabetes.
1 NHS Data 2018
2 NICE Clinical Guideline 1990
3 Kessler, D. et al. (2009) Therapist-delivered internet psychotherapy for depression in primary care: a randomised controlled trial. Lancet. 374: 628-34
About Ieso Digital Health
- Ieso is the UK’s largest provider of digitally-enabled, evidence-based mental health care, redefining the way that mental health care is delivered by making high-quality cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT) accessible, accountable and affordable for the first time. It has treated over 30,000 patients on the NHS, using its unique text-based technology platform.
- Using the NHS-mandated outcomes measurement framework, Ieso has been able to deliver outcomes which are significantly better than other forms of therapy. Ieso’s method has been clinically validated in a trial, published in The Lancet in 2009
- Ieso is helping to create a modern mental health infrastructure which provides a better experience for patients by meeting them at a time and a place of their choosing; online, on their mobile, PC or tablet.
- Ieso is a multi-award-winning business and one of UK’s fastest-growing technology companies, as lauded in the Deloitte Fast 50 awards. Ieso was also recognized as one of the Sunday Times Disruptors to Watch. The company was also awarded the accolade of 2017 Digital Innovation of the Year. Launched in the US in 2017 Ieso is accelerating growth there, with a blue-chip management team with deep industry expertise.
Diabetes and Mental Health
- There are an estimated 3.7 million people who have been diagnosed with diabetes in the UK4. Each day around 700 people will get diagnosed with the condition in the UK.5
- Since 1996, the number of people living with diabetes has more than trebled and this number is forecast to rise to five million by the year 2025.6 The cost of diabetes to the NHS is over 10% of the NHS budget for England and Wales
- Mental health issues linked to diabetes include feelings of loss, stress, anger, panic attacks, phobias mood disorders, depression, anxiety and eating disorders.7 A depressed person is less likely to adhere to their diabetes medication or monitoring regimens which are necessary for effective management of diabetes, resulting in poor glycemic control. Stress and depression are known to elevate blood glucose levels, even if medication is taken regularly.8
About Roche Diabetes Care
Under the Accu-Chek brand, Roche Diabetes Care has been a pioneer in the development of blood glucose monitoring systems and a global leader in diabetes management systems and services for over 40 years.
4 Diabetes UK Facts and Figures 2018
5 The NHS Information Centre for Health and Social Care
6 Diabetes UK Facts and Figures 2018
7 A Review of the Mental Health Issues of Diabetes, Lee Ducat et al, Diabetes Care 2015
8 Depression Among Adults with Diabetes, Katon WJ et al, Diabetes Care 2010
For further information contact:
C:Danah Tangen E:firstname.lastname@example.org M:+952.334.3992